In case I haven't mentioned it before, being a mom is hard! And a LOT harder than I ever imagined it would be. I always wanted to be a mom. Whenever my employers asked "where do you want to be/ see yourself in 5 years?" I always told them that I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom . . . but seeing that I wasn't even married, that was a long way off. I managed people, I ran multiple departments, I could multi-task and thought I was pretty good at what I did. But none of that prepared me for being a mom.
I quickly learned that I could NOT function on a lack of sleep, am NOT nice when I'm tired, am NOT a patient person, and I yell TOO much.
Yesterday was UGLY - no patience, lots of yelling, frustration at every turn. And by bedtime, all 3 girls (yes, me included) were in tears. Poor Ken, when he came in and found us all crying, I'm sure he wondered how he could get back outside without being noticed.
But today, today was a new day. I knew I didn't want to repeat yesterday or any of the other days that have recently been like that. Determined to not repeat yesterday, I prayed A LOT for forgiveness, for patience, for love, for kindness. And my prayers were answered.
And then I got the best compliment from one of our neighbors. Every time I see her, she tells me "your daughters are beautiful". But today she says to me "your daughters are beautiful; they're a reflection of a good mom". Wow - that made my day. She thinks my daughters are beautiful, not because of an outward appearance, but because she sees something in them that she attributes to me. I'm not sure I can take all the credit for that one, but today it made my labor of love worth just a little bit more.
3 comments:
Thank goodness we get to start over every day. I appreciated this post, I have been having some challenging days lately too.
I appreciate your honesty. Sometimes I think I am the only person who thinks being a mom is hard. I recently told Cole for every 5 bad things that happen during the day I was only getting one good thing. It is hard. I used to think I was a patient person. .. Then I became a mom. I am grateful we have help from above and can make weak things strong.
You definitely ARE a great mom, Sharon, and, as you know, you're in good company! We seem to have a lot in common (especially craziness when sleep-deprived and the struggle with the "job" of stay-at-home-mom). Just want to say, "You're doing great!" The fact that you recognize your limitations and work hard to overcome them is proof of that.
You know I can relate to how hard it is to be a parent, and especially how hard it is to "grow." Thanks for your comments on my post-- http://www.drchristinahibbert.com/my-kids-are-driving-me-crazy-again-why-parenting-is-so-darn-tough/. I love reading YOUR blog! It inspires me. :)
Post a Comment